- Please calls/emails from student volunteers only not your parents.
- The Volunteer Application appears below (please print and complete). If you are a minor your parent must sign as well.
- Most jobs are during the weekdays between 8:30 - 2:00 pm.
- We are closed evenings and weekends. Open M-F 8:30-4:30
- Students 15 and older are accepted during the summers. Applications for summer 2018 were due by March 1st. We are currently filled for summer. Mail applications to Christine Wildemuth, South Brunswick Senior Center, 540 Ridge Road Monmouth Jct, NJ 08852 or contact her for appointement at 732 329 4000 x7682
Morning Front Door Greeter
Filled - Waiting list only. Sit at our main entrance of the Senior Center and greet seniors as they enter and help them scan into the computer upon their arrival. 8:30-12:30 shift. Summer 2018 youth 15+ FILLED
Afternoon Front Door Greeter
Filled(one day a week) can apply now for adults age 21+ to sit at our main entrance of the Senior Center and greet seniors as they enter and help them scan into the computer upon their arrival. Summer 2018 FILLED youth 15+ 12:30-4:30
Youth Afternoon Door Greeter School year
Filled Accepting apps for Sept 2018-June 2019 HS students from 3:00-4:30 to sit at our main entrance of the Senior Center or Gym and greet seniors as they enter and help them scan into the computer upon their arrival. Must work one day week Sept-June.
Fitness Room Attendant-9:30-11:30 Wed. or Fri. Looking for persons 21+ with fitness or personal training background (can be retired or college student studying this field) to assist seniors in fitness workout room with about 7 machines on volunteer basis.
Wellness Center Greeters- Filled. Taking wait list and adult subs only. Greet seniors entering and exiting Gym room and make sure they have authorization to use the room. Adults Sept-June shifts 8:30-12:30 or 12:30-3:00. Summers for youth filled 16+ shifts for students 8:30-12:30 or 12:30-4:30 one day week
Tech Center Assistant- Wed 10:30-12:30 Filled - Help seniors one day week one to one here at the center in our lab of 5 computers from 10:30-12:30pm. Basic word program, email, Facebook, Internet surfing, aid with printing, using Wi Fi, etc would be taught. Students Summer 2018 filled Must be 16+ one day week 10:30-1:30 help with computers and Ipads.
Municipal Building Receptionist/Greeter-Looking for adult volunteer subs to be on call when regular scheduled volunteer is away or ill.-in the Municipal Building main lobby 12:30-4:30pm. Greet visitors, direct them to the proper offices, and answer phones. We are always accepting applicants for an on call basis to cover days the person may be away as well. Age 21+ will train on phone system.
OFFICE WORKER-- Filled clerical work, answer phones, assist seniors with class registrations, make calls etc. Office experience preferred. Age 25+. Will train. Commit to at least one day week
Kitchen Meals On Wheels Food packer- Need Mondays to end of June Volunteer in the kitchen once a week on 8:30am-12:30pm packing meals that are delivered to homebound seniors daily. As well as serving the senior noon meal. Summer students filled Must be 16 or older for summer 8:30-12:30 once a week
Special Event/Party Assistant
Summer 2018 FILLED-age 14+ to help with barbecues and special parties and games. 11am-2pm
July 12, July 19 & August 9th, August 16th
Interview a senior veteran and then make a scrapbook page for our Veterans Book representing their experiences. All materials provided. Computer access for typing. Schedule is flexible based on when you and the senior are available. usually 2-3 hours the day you come for interview then you may work on page as you have time very flexible. HS Students can do from 3-4:30pm.
Crafts Assistant- -youth Summer 2018 filled-July and August 11:30-2:00 to assist seniors in simple craft project. July 17, July 31, August 14, August 28th
Wii & Ladderball Game Assistant- summer 2018 filled - Tuesdays July and August 10:30-1:30pm-Must be at least 14 years old. Intergenerational program where play Wii Bowling with seniors and ladderball. We will show you how to play.
Senior Advisory Council Board Member- Applications for 2018 closed accepting for 2019 until July 1 2018
This is a 13 person board appointed by the Mayor and Council that are involved in the operations of the senior center. Terms begin Jan 1st of each year and are for 3 years. You must be 55+, live in South Brunswick and be a member of the senior center. Meetings are held the first Thursday of every month 10:30-noon at the center. We encourage seniors to attend these meetings to see what is happening and if interested in applying fill out an application that is available in the senior center office. Applications for 2018 will be taken until July 1st
Theater Coach/Leader- Available. Looking for someone 21+ with a passion for drama that is willing to lead a group of seniors interested in a theater group.
Horse Races Game -Summer 2018 two mondays a month Must attend all days. FILLED Run this game with the seniors & other volunteers. You will be taught how to play. Outgoing personality good speaking voice. Two Mondays a month 11:45-1:45. Must be 14+ July 9, July 23rd, August 6th, & Aug 20th
Trivia & Birthday Luncheon-summer 2018 filled read trivia questions to seniors, serve lunch and cake. 10:30-12:30 Age 16 or older. Leadership hours. July 24th and August 21st
EAGLE SCOUT PROJECT IDEAS
1. Outdoor area-Build an official cornhole game with bean bags, repair frame to our bocee court, flowers
2. Art Project-Make 12 tabletop art easels
3. Open to any ideas a scout may have
The Senior Center staff are looking for people willing to rake leaves, do light yard work, or shovel snow for seniors must be 21+. Or if scouting group or club must have adult supervision. Call us if interested. Any day or time that you have available is fine. We encourage you to reach out to those in your neighborhood also.
Mr. Fix It Program - seeking volunteers over the age of 60 with handyman skills to perform small repairs in seniors homes in South Brunswick. The program is operated by the county program Retired Senior Volunteers and provides a beneficial service to our seniors.
Call (732) 249-6330 to sign up.
Age 21+. State Health Benefits program. You attend a series of all day trainings for 6-8 weeks once a week given by the county and state and learn all about health benefits. Trainings offered twice per year in different counties. Then you work at the Senior Center as a volunteer as needed assisting seniors.
Training held twice per year in various locations. Call Christine 732-329-4000 x7682 if interested. Must attend all sessions from 9am-4pm. Free parking. Bring own lunch.
The Position Description is as follows:
Overall Goal and Desired Impact on Community Upon Accomplishing This Goal:
- Education and assistance to Medicare Beneficiaries
- Reduction in stress of Medicare beneficiaries concerning their Medicare coverage.
- Helping Medicare beneficiaries avoid spending more money than they have to.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completion of Client Contact and Public and Media Activity Forms.
- Explanation and comparison of Medicare Supplement insurance with associated paperwork.
- Explanation, comparison of, and enrollment in Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plans with associated paperwork.
- Explanation, comparison of, and enrollment in Medicare Prescription Drug Plans with associated paperwork.
- Explanation of Medicare Parts A and B benifits
- Referrals to other available services.
- Casework- Troubleshooting issues with Medicare (Parts A,B,C and D), Medigap employer group coverage, ect.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Good communication skills (written and oral)
- Good organization skills
- Ability to navigate the Internet
- Ability to independently resolve problems.
- Commitment to provisions of SHIP Memorandum of Understanding
- Bi-lingual ability a plus.
- Minimum of 10 hours per month
Benefits to Volunteer Counselors:
- Mental Stimulation
- Fulfillment from helping others
- Knowledge gained that is helpful to the community
- flexible SHIP work schedule - days of week and times of day
- Camaraderie with other Ship counselors.